Classes are offered in the fall and spring (October and February) and include a textbook (Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences – Basic Beekeeping) and other support material. Class meets PM at the Coleman Nursery Classroom.
You will learn the fundamentals about beekeeping equipment and where to find the necessary tools for your hives; honey bee biology class and afflictions; feeding your bees and where to place your hives; how to do proper inspections of your hives, and how and when to extract honey.
To register, Email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Once the course is scheduled you will be contacted with further information. Please note, the course is limited in size and it is first come, first enrolled for each session. Those not making it into the current session will be offered the next one scheduled.
Click here to find beekeeping classes elsewhere in Virginia. Virginia.
Websites and other sources
- Wintering Bees in Cold Climates - a guide for beekeepers whose bees overwinter in cold climates, where the temperatures between November and March typically range between an average high of 35 degrees F and an average low of 18 degrees F.
- The University of Geulph has a wonderful set of educational videos - https://honeybee.uoguelph.ca/education-events/
- North Carolina State Beekeeper Engagement and Education (BEES) program- an online resource for beekeepers at all levels. https://entomology.ces.ncsu.edu/apiculture/bees/
- University of Montana Beekeeping Course and Online Master Beekeeping Certification https://www.umt.edu/sell/programs/bee/
- Ohio State offers webinars and course at the following link: https://u.osu.edu/beelab/courses/
- Back Forty Bees (local to Williamsburg) has a blog and other educational info: https://www.backfortybees.com/blog#/
- Virginia State Beekeepers Association - https://www.virginiabeekeepers.org/
- VATech Apiculture Extension - https://www.ento.vt.edu/the-bee-group-at-vt/beekeeping.html
- VA Department of Agriculture Beekeeping & Apiary Inspection - https://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/plant-industry-services-beekeeping-apiary-inspection.shtml